Monday, January 01, 2007

The Food Challenge

This January I'm on a mission to use what food I have in my cupboards, fridge & freezer and see just how creative I can be and how far into January I can get without going grocery shopping! The only permissable purchases are "essentials" and this really just means milk, fresh fruit and veg (oh, and Belle made me add dog food to the list!). I've done this before but I'm uber enthusiastic this year! Generally speaking I spend £60 a week on a big grocery shop but then tend to top up two or three times during the week so I've probably been spending closer to £80 and I'm just not happy about that at all. I'm also trying to reduce our portion sizes as they've crept up a bit and I often seem to overcook and although I'm quite good at using leftovers I sometimes end up with too many leftovers and combined with stuff in the fridge that needs using (and can't be frozen) that often leads to waste. ;o( So, I want to knock that on the head and, of course, smaller portions are good for my ongoing healthier eating. Another habit I need to beat is not taking lunch to work. I often don't make time to do myself a lunch and then end up going out and buying lunch which is unhealthy for me food wise, not to mention financially! I've joined a US based Yahoo group called Pantry Challenge for a bit of inspiration although I suspect I won't last long as it's very big and very busy! Is there a similar UK based Yahoo group?? So, tomorrow, it's back to work and it's my long Tuesday so I will need a lunch. I have a tub of FIL's peas in the freezer so I'm planning pea & mint soup, one of my faves! ;o) After our little New Year's Eve soiree yesterday we had quite a lot of leftover party food but we've made inroads into it today and the fridge isn't groaning quite as much as it was although we are! LOL Anyway, expect lost of boring frugal talk as of now!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home