Monday, February 19, 2007

Choices, choices...

So, a little update on the food challenge I set myself after Christmas. During the period from 24th December to 31st of January I spent a total of just under £85 on household shopping. ;oD Considering that I was spending a minium of £60 - £80 and probably more like £100 a week I was pretty pleased with that. I'm still managing to keep well under £60 a week although I have been spending more since the advent of my McKeithesque eating plan. Balancing healthy eating, ethical shopping and a budget is an entertaining pastime I have to say!! On that note, I was in the Devil's Supermarket this evening and got a bit disgruntled in the fruit and veg department, like I do! If I want to eat a wide variety of fruit and veg then there is no way I can shop ethically and certainly not there. There was a pitiful amount of British produce and even less British organic produce. Just what is the point of me buying organic apples from the USA? Or broccoli from Spain? Or Israeli celery? To my mind, the air miles they've travelled negates why I'm buying them in the first place, doesn't it? So, I don't. All I managed to buy was non organic UK parsnips, cress and cabbage and organic UK mushrooms. Oh, and then I broke all my rules and bought a Spanish cucumber. :o( I know it must seem really trivial but I hate having to compromise myself and that's just what I did. ;o( Today is one of those days when I wonder if my tiny steps towards ethical living are worth the effort when for every one of me leaving the supermarket there are 30 others with excess carrier bags stuffed with food that they don't give a flying f*ck about the origin of or how far it's travelled to grace their plates. But then again, I have to live with my conscience, not theirs, and I want to do what I can towards taking a lighter step on the earth.

2 Comments:

Blogger emhowl said...

Having said that, Maz, I was serving coffees at the school rugby on Saturday with two other women. All three of us discussed our ethical shopping and all three of us do it. (One of them wants to keep chickens.) I'm delighted with your shopping bill. I think I've spent less this month but my freezer and cupboard were well stocked in January! What's this diet?

Do you have markets and farm shops in your neck of the woods? We used to have a wonderful farm shop three miles away. Now it's a very exclusive housing estate!!!!

Nice to see your journals again.

12:58 AM  
Blogger artfulzebra said...

Testing, testing....

Maz x

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home