Thursday, January 25, 2007

Secondhand Furniture, becoming a director and more!

We went to the Emmaus Community shop, near Cambridge, this morning to look for various pieces of furniture now that we're edging towards finished rooms. We found this gorgeous box which will take up residence in our bay window.



We've been having lots of discussion recently about storage. We are slowly decluttering and deciding what we want to keep but we want to ensure we use our space wisely for sufficient storage whilst still making sure we have a home that isn't packed to the rafters with tat! This box is a big sturdy beast and is intended for storing records and CDs. M has a big collection of vinyl and wants to keep alot of it but at the moment it's inaccessible and so never gets used. It needs to be downstairs and easily accessed if we're to play some of it! I'm going to make a cushion or two for the box so that it doubles as a little window seat too. ;o) The Emmaus shop were having a sale - 25% off everything - so that was even better! I love what Emmaus do, their ethos is great and it pleases me no end to not only be able to buy used goods instead of new stuff but also to support their community. :o) While M was loading the box into the car I went for a ferret about in the bric-a-brac section and found a vintage enamel (oh, I adore enamel!) flour bin for my pantry. I've been chasing these on eBay but they're nearly always out of my price range so this was a superb find! Just a few chips on the lid but otherwise is perfect.

Yesterday I went shopping with my mum and dragged her around all the charity shops! :oD I found a birthday present for M (it's his birthday today) as well as a present for a friend's birthday next week. We had a repeat conversation about only shopping for presents from charity shops/car boots/junk shops etc. I'm not sure mum's sold on the idea but I'm definitely going to buy much more from this avenue this year. I've already found two birthday presents for Miss E as well as two cracker presents for next Christmas. :o) Reuse, recycle, repurpose!!

The exciting news of the week is that my two friends, Jo and Claire, and myself put forward an idea for the operatic society's October show and it was chosen by the committee as this year's show! So, we're plunging in to the world of directing a show! The show will launch our 50th anniversary year and the idea of it is to include songs from all the Easter productions we've performed in those 50 years. There's 39 shows in total and we really hope our show will be a successful, celebratory production. Time will tell!

We went out for a meal last night at a great local restaurant. The food is always wonderful! I had sauteed mushrooms in a garlic, white wine and cream sauce topped with Mozzarella on toast followed by chicken breast on sweet potato with rioja jus and a fabulous selection of veg and I finished with creme brulee with glazed banana, waffle and maple syrup. It was totally delicious and worth every penny!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

How fabulous all your news is...this year is galloping off to a great start for you....I am delighted :D

xxx

8:13 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Cool, great box it will make a great window seat too.

I am so glad you got the go ahead for the production, it sounds great!

The food sounds delicious - yum!

Hugs,
Kari x

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home